We nearly call off our camping plans due to the rainy weather forecast, but decide to give it a chance. The forecast is right. We all spend a rainy night at Tres Piedras, then wander around on Saturday getting excited to climb every time the rain stops for an hour, but it always starts again. In the end we decide to caravan to Santa Fe and have a big slumber party in the loft. This turns out to be fun – beer is consumed, games are played, and a little climbing is squeezed in at Diablo canyon, where we encounter a rogue solar ice cream cart. What good friends we have – thanks everyone!
I’ve created a Flickr group for us, so it may be possible to see all our photo picks. At least mine will be here to start with:
- Post Moderate 5.9 (lower)
- Clare leads until the rain gets a little heavy, so she traverses to some neighboring anchors and sets up topropes.
- Highly Caffeinated 5.10-
- The neighboring route Clare descends – I didn’t get to it so I’m not sure how it climbs.
- Hell Boy 5.8+ (lower)
- Once again I make it only to the first anchors, coming down in light rain.
- Naked Lunch 5.10a
- I lead this, and it makes me work hard, downclimbing from one sequence a few times before nailing it. Fantastic arete climbing. Although I lost the route at the very top, Clare got that sequence when brought her up. Same height as Post Moderate at 165ft, but seems like it goes on and on forever.
- Drunk Rednecks with Golf Clubs 5.9
- I return with Clare and Dennis the next morning to squeeze another route or two in before they leave. This one is devious as always, but we all stay on.
- Class Act 5.10a
- This route keeps me feeling like I’m at my limit with every move. Oh thank your for the big feet that provide some rest, otherwise I’d have crumbled. Great rock, interesting moves, continuous.